Thursday, October 26, 2006

Buzz on the International Trip

Buzz on the International Trip
So we are getting the Powerpoint pitches for our international trip locations over dinner this session, which should be interesting. I wanted to pass along the latest buzz in discussions with a few folks in our class: although there's a strong (and well-organized) coalition of India and China International Study Tour supporters in our cohort, there is significant last minute interest in Latin America. Specifically, Brazil!

Why Not India?
India is my last choice by a LARGE margin. Our class is tech-heavy already, which implies that many of us have to travel to India for business anyway. I am already forced to travel to the tech centers of Hyderabad and Bangalore, so why in the world would I want to go there for a study tour? If you ask Ariel how sick he got after his last trip there, there's no way I want to go there unless I have to. Which I do anyway. Sorry to disappoint those of you lobbying for India, but it's a place I do not want to go at all.

Then Why Not China?
China is an interesting place, and it certainly is growing by leaps and bounds. But like India, it's a place that most of us will have to travel to for business anyway. Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong are likely destinations in the not so distant future for me, as the offshoring phenomenon is moving toward China as a place for low-cost offshore talent, assuming they fix the IP issues with doing business there. One positive thing is that the influx of money for the Olympic Games in 2007 will be an interesting thing to observe while we were there. I'm not nearly as opposed to going there as I am to India; it would be okay but not ideal.

The Ideal: Brazil - Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo
So here's the case for Brazil. Brazil has 180M people, it's the largest country in Latin America, the 9th largest economy in the world, and it produces 40% of the GDP of Latin America. It's also not a place we'd all have to travel to for business, which to me is great. It's a melting pot of cultures: there are substantial Japanese, Italian, Arab and Lebanese populations in Brazil. Plus, Rio is sooo beautiful. Final reason: the fun factor is off the charts for Brazil!

Travel etiquette in Brazil: link
Types of business in Rio: link

Pics are worth a thousand words, so check it out (I did a search on Flickr):

Shot of Rio at night: link to night view of Rio
Beach, city view, and scenery in Rio: link to Rio pics on Flickr
This beats the Old Ship: link to Rio club

The one thing I don't know is what business contacts Wharton has in Brazil.

Post your comments. I'd love to hear what you think about Brazil...

-Chairman P

2 comments:

Zia Rehman said...

Well, since the International Trip is causing so much excitement and since you (Ron Park) expressed your support for Brazil, I thought I should speak up for China plus I am maxed out studying for Stats and Macro.

Lets see, Why go to China? For one, I want to go to a country that is single handedly contributing to the current trade deficit of this great country that we live in. I want to go first hand and see what the local businesses are doing there which is something I will not get to see when and if I go on my 'company business trip'. We will get to see and meet many local businesses and ask questions and see how a business operates in China. China has over 1.3 Billion people, the 4th largest economy in the World and estimated to be the 2nd largest economy in the World by 2015 (Prof. Abel will be impressed by all the Economic numbers we are throwing around). Our classmates who originate from China promise us that Shanghai is a city that never sleeps and the fun factor is off the scale. Now, if these are not strong enough reasons then I don't know what are.

The case against Brazil, I will state what you stated yourself, Brazil is a place which I will probably go to for fun or a vacation anyway, why would I want to go there for a study tour and waste all the time visiting companies when I can spend all that time out on the beach (take that argument). I don't know about you but my group manages the Americas, so Brazil is definitely a place I will visit for business. Now I don't have time to do cool searches like you for flickr photos but I will leave it at that.

GO CHINA !!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Brazil is the best place to travel. Brazil is more than beaches and Carnival, but that would be enough reason to travel there. Brazil is the largest country in South America. The nation's natural beauty is reflected in its variety of geographic locations, from Sugar Loaf Mountain in the city of Rio de Janeiro, to the magnificent Iguazu Falls in the south, to the Amazon basin in the North, there's something for almost every taste... snow skiers excepted. Brazil is a highly sought after destination when it comes to holidays but recent developments have helped the country to attract Brazil property investors. Although it is difficult to get bored of a vast country such as Brazil property investment is becoming a real possibility.