Thursday, June 28, 2007

Customized Portfolio Tools are Improving

I just got a call from a UBS PWM VP soliciting my money yesterday who turned out to be a Wharton grad. I kindly thanked her and said no thanks, I manage my own portfolio and asset allocation myself. It's getting easier and easier to self manage your own portfolio using free tools on the internet. It used to be that the tools were pretty simple and not very useful, but that has started to change during the last few years. I have even started to see asset classes such as private equity and hedge funds listed in your asset allocation tools.

Just found this ETF website out there from a WSJ.com article on Better Ways to Measure Your Portfolio:

http://www.indexuniverse.com

The website has some good content for those of you looking for articles on index ETF funds to match to your asset allocations. There's also even a good hedge fund overview article towards the bottom of the first page. I used the search engine to look at some REIT data, which was great to look at after looking at our Real Estate Finance course that started last weekend. I haven't had a chance to look at the free x-ray tool at Morningstar.com or on Yahoo Finance, but if anyone has an opinion, please post it.

No comments: