Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Drinking from a fire hose

Some thoughts from Scotland on WEMBA:

My hair is burning off because we are going so fast! I don't know about everyone else, but I feel as if we have been drinking from a fire hose for Term 1. We have had a mid-term, case study presentation or paper due every session since Week 2. The sheer amount of material is massive. And it will only increase as we head towards finals.

What makes it challenging is limited time to study, with having a family and a full-time job and being a full-time student. As some of you know, I'm now planning on transitioning from my "Horizon 1" job in the next few months to something more "Horizon 3". Sounds like there's a lot of us that are contemplating the Next Step after Wharton already. From what I hear from Class 31, a lot of students go through job changes in the first year.

It's been great to have such a high caliber set of people in our class. I like all of the classes so far, and the material / teaching has been solid.

My vacation has been wonderful so far. Golf in Scotland is the best! I saw Charles at the Scores Hotel in St Andrews and on the course at Carnoustie, site of the 1999 British Open. Not a whole lot of WEMBA is getting done here. I did lug some MGEC stuff here just so I wouldn't feel too guilty.

Advice to next year's class: don't take an international trip in the middle of Term 1! Go on vacation before WEMBA starts.

Chairman P

No comments: