Sunday, July 30, 2006

Scottish Golf Pilgrimage

Kingsbarns #2: more beautiful than Pebble? It was a great place to forget about work and school for a while....

I just took an eight day golf pilgrimage to Scotland from 7/16-23. I left right after class on 7/16 and came back just this week. This was a personal golf vacation I planned a long time ago with four golf friends. No wives or kids on this trip...just golfers! We had gotten our "hall passes" ten years ago from our wives and now was the time! Somehow, I had managed to convince my golf buddies to do it in between Wharton sessions so I wouldn't miss any golf. Here's a link to the full blog of my trip: Scottish golf trip blog.

Props out to the Grand Cru team for letting me skip out on conference calls while I wuz golfing!


Teeing off at the Royal Troon Old Course, where they hosted the
2004 The Open Championship. In the US, we call it the British Open.



The Scottish bunkers were much more penal than their US counterparts.

It was a fantastic trip, and I can't wait to head back to Scotland someday. The golf was the best trip I've ever had! But let's just say that I didn't get a whole lot of studying done....

Advice to future students: take your vacations *before* Wharton starts, not during!



Wharton Class 32 students are everywhere! I saw one of my Class 32 classmates, Charles, while on the course at Carnoustie and in my hotel at St Andrews...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your trip and we'd love to see you back at Carnoustie again some day.

Regards,
Official Blogger
http://www.carnoustiegolflinks.co.uk/blog
gary@garyshort.org

Anonymous said...

I'm working on a story about golf travel and was wondering if you might be willing to tell me about your trip and how you planned it? Please send me an e-mail at loretta.chao@wsj.com or call me at 212-416-3160. Thanks very much for your time!